Samplerate during mastering

• January 21, 2024 at 5:17 am #6012
      Hasan Aydin
      Participant

when do you decide which sample rate the master should have?
        at the moment i do it like this: i upsample all mixes i get, whether 44.1khz or 48khz, to 96khz with iZotope RX, because the processing of many plugins is slightly better with higher sample rate. And create a 96khz master for the customer instead of creating a 48khz master: unless of course it is required or desired by the customer. But let’s assume that it will only be released on Apple Music and therefore the sample rate doesn’t matter.
        Is that sonically the best thing to do or should I leave the files at the original sample rate from start to finish, for example 48khz?

“I know that I know nothing”

• February 12, 2024 at 5:53 pm #6025
        Phil Koenig
        Participant

I use Reaper for mastering. It has built in 2x or 4x oversampling available for any chain of 1 or more FX.

Generally oversampling is useful for non-linear FX such as saturation or dynamics processing of any kind to avoid aliased images of processed audio to be reflected off the Nyquist frequency and appear in the baseband audio as non-harmonic artifacts.

So I don’t upsample the project. But if this feature wasn’t available, I would definitely upsample.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.