OMG! 7Zip is the bomb

• February 13, 2023 at 10:59 am #4864
      Bob Katz
      Keymaster

I have an .mov that I just created which I have to transmit to a colleague. It’s an enormous 10.72 GB in size. Regular Zip on the Mac gets it down to 10.12 GB, not a big improvement. But if I use BetterZip on the Mac with 7zip protocol, I can get it down to 2.54 GB! Thats a big improvement.

• February 13, 2023 at 1:34 pm #4869
        Bob Olhsson

Somebody turned me on to 7zip on windows years ago and I never looked back. I’ll have to find betterzip now that I’m working more on Mac.

• March 1, 2023 at 2:41 pm #5065
          Phil Koenig
          Participant

For Windows I’ve found the free program Handbrake very useful for reducing video file size (before compression).  It may not be kosher for a mastering environment, since it apparently reencodes the video.  And it requires some tinkering (trying various output file options on short snippet files), but I found it pretty effective.

• March 1, 2023 at 3:26 pm #5069
            Bob Olhsson

Handbrake is good and https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

is another newer good one.

• March 12, 2023 at 8:45 pm #5472
              TiKkO Rome
              Participant

Probably goes without saying but I guess our IT guy does know something afterall lol. He’s been dealing with some personal things so he hasn’t been in to “optimize” the current PC since its been built. He had told me I needed to install 7zip but WinZip was already installed so I’ve just been using that. I’ve been zipping to prevent errors, but hadn’t been paying attention to see if the files are bigger than with the old PC (which is now a server). I’ll have to take a look at that.

• March 13, 2023 at 10:15 am #5479
                Philipp Conrad
                Participant

Neat, thanks for the tip! I’m going to test this now on some WAV files.

Original size. 3.29 GB
                  ZIP Archive: 1.04 GB
                  7Zip Archive: 870.4 MB

a total of 180 WAV files.  Not bad!  Not sure in my case it would warrant having to explain to a client how to open a 7Zip archive, but I’m sure it will come in handy at some point.  Thanks.

• March 22, 2023 at 6:02 am #5547
                  Danniielle OConnor
                  Participant

Been using 7zip now for several years and love it. 😎

• March 22, 2023 at 9:40 am #5550
                    Bob Katz
                    Keymaster

In MacOS you can buy a reasonably-priced zipping and unzipping tool called “Betterzip” that I highly recommend. I easily set up a preset to use .7z protocol when I want to zip large items. It typically saves between 20 and 70% of the size compared with regular zip or .rar protocol.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags