Linear Phase Equalizers: Who uses them and why?

• January 11, 2023 at 3:06 pm #4221
      Bob Katz
      Keymaster

What do you think of linear phase equalizers? Do you ever use them? Any particular reasons for your preferences?

• February 18, 2023 at 7:32 pm #4960

Not a lotta attention to this one.  But, for me, an interesting topic.

• February 21, 2023 at 12:57 pm #4978
        Bob Katz
        Keymaster

Oh yes. I’ve written a whole book chapter on the subject! 🙂

• March 4, 2023 at 9:08 pm #5089
          Alexey Lukin
          Participant

I use linear-phase EQ when I need a “manual crossover”. I EQ one signal with a low-pass then I invert phase and mix with the original to get the high-pass band. Before RX started supporting frequency feathering of selections, I used this technique to apply “gentle” edits that change the amount of processing in frequency. For example, I could apply 12 dB of noise reduction below 1 kHz, 6 dB of noise reduction above 3 kHz, and some crossfade in between.

• March 6, 2023 at 12:32 pm #5104
            Bob Katz
            Keymaster

Hi, Alexey! It’s great to see you here.

The applications I was primarily thinking of was use of (or potential use of) LP equalizers in music production: Recording, mixing, mastering. I’m curious to hear how other engineers may choose to use them or not to use them in music production.

Yes, Linear phase in more “scientific” applications is often used behind the scenes, such as in multiband dynamics processors.

So many people don’t realize the issues that can occur with minimum phase equalizers. For example, MS manipulation with minimum phase equalization can mess up the stereo imaging.

• March 6, 2023 at 12:38 pm #5105
              Alexey Lukin
              Participant

Hi Bob! One more case where I would use a LP EQ is to attenuate noise that is well separated in frequency from the signal. If the vocal is above 100 Hz and mic stand thumps are below 50 Hz, I would use a LP highpass filter, so that phase of the vocals is not shifted.

• March 12, 2023 at 10:51 pm #5476
                TiKkO Rome
                Participant

“The LP’s ability to preserve the depth of the mix is frequently an advantage when mastering, because altering a band’s level does not move instruments forward or backward in the soundstage”. 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags