Reply To: Reference mixes and why

April 3, 2023 at 2:22 am #5677
JasonHiller
Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That’s great Bob, thank you! Did you make the copy Honky Tonk Woman? From vinyl? I never used reference mixes until I was told how much they can help a few years ago, but I still find it strange.
    I love to play the Getz/Gilberto Girl From Ipanema which I think sounds just wonderful but more importantly I use it to demonstrate restraint. If you listen to Jobim’s piano, it is the tastiest most beautifully understated accompaniment that only adds and never gets in the way and I try to hammer that point home to whatever band I am producing.
    As I mentioned, Buddy Holly’s Everyday is masterful to me and I listen to it often on different setups because on a great system you are truly in the room with him. The 3 dimensionality is breathtaking. On crappy speakers it holds it’s own just fine but on a great system…oy!</p>
    And the last one I mentioned, Taj Mahal’s Leaving Trunk because it just rocks so hard and the drums (and everything else) sound incredible. And the drums are panned hard left and since I love panning things hard left and right (including drums) it’s a good ref to play. 🙂

Looking forward to checking out Trio Jeepy!